Eva Organization for Women (EOW) - Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Body, My Rights –end FGM

Go down

My Body, My Rights –end FGM  Empty My Body, My Rights –end FGM

Post  Admin Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:26 pm

FGM female genital mutilation has been a criminal offence in Britain since 1985, and since 2003 it has been illegal to aid or participate in arranging FGM to be performed on a person inside or outside Britain. The maximum penalty is now 14 years imprisonment.

FGM is a human rights’ violation, as it denies women and young girls their security and personal liberty, their privacy and bodily integrity, their freedom of conscience and the right to health.
FGM is performed for traditional reasons, not religious ones. It is seen as cultural identity: a tribal initiation into adulthood; it is said that uncircumcised woman are regarded an unclean and therefore not allowed to handle food or water; it is also a form of sexual control: preservation of virginity, enhancement of male sexual pleasure and is said to reduce the woman’s desire for sex and therefore the possibility of sex outside marriage.

On the 9th December Dr Sadiyo Siad from Eva Organisation for Women (EOW-Charity) will give a brief presentation of FGM, this will be followed by a reading of the poem “The Cut”. We will then have a short break.

Finally we will watch the film produced by EOW ‘A Painful Reality’, this is part of our educational package of DVD’s and leaflets to be launched on STOP FGM DAY on the 6th February 2015.

Tuesday 9th December 2014 at 6.30 pm
At Leicester Secular Hall
7 Humberstone Gate
Leicester
LE1 1WB

This event is free!

EOW-Charity
Phone: 07961618589
Email: admin@eow-charity.org
Admin
Admin
Admin